The red tag certification is required for any students working in our machine shops. It allows access to the woodshop, basic metal working equipment, and laser cutters.
1. Sign up for Canvas Course | 22-23 Canvas Class
2. Complete Canvas Course
3. Sign up for a red tag tour | Picktime reservation system
4. Attend the red tag tour | wear closed toed shoes and long pants
COVID NOTICE: If you completed the Canvas course prior to July 2021, you will need to complete the online portion again before attending a tour.
Approximate time: 45 minutes
- Part 1 – Reading: Red Tag Basics Manual
- Part 2 – Bookend Project Video
- Part 3 – Red Tag Quiz
- Part 4 – Safe Practice Guidelines & Waiver
- Part 5 – Photo for Red Tag ID Card
PICKTIME RESERVATION SYSTEM
Classes that require red tags do not require Picktime Reservations.
Choose a Location | "Aero Hangar - Red/Yellow Tags Reservations"
Choose a Class | Red Tag Tour
Choose a Session
About the Tour
Both Red and Yellow Tag tours are located at the Hangar. You must wear long pants and closed-toed shoes to complete the tour. The tour will take about three hours. It will introduce you to our shops, cover basic safety information, and prepare you to use wood and metal tools. Please see the Red Tag Manual for a more in-depth description of the tour. The tour is followed by a 50-question test and practical examination.
After the Tour
You may work in either Mustang '60 or the Hangar after acquiring a Red Tag. You may use tools in the wood shop, tools in the metal shop, and laser cutters. You may not use mills, lathes, or welders before acquiring a yellow tag.
You are responsible for your own safety:
- You must wear long pants and closed-toed shoes.
- You must wear safety glasses at all times.
- You must tie back hair and remove other snag hazards.
- You must wear other personal protective equipment as needed.
- You must report all injuries, no matter how minor, to a shop tech.
You are responsible for the safety of others:
- Report any spills to a shop tech.
- Report any unsafe behavior to a shop tech.
- Report any broken machines or tools to a shop tech.
- You will not be penalized for accidental breakage.
- Continuing to work compromises your own safety and that of those around you.
- Concealing the problem compromises the safety of the person using it after you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do red tags take place?
All tours are given at the Hangar (Bldg. 004).
When are red tags offered?
Tours are offered from Week 2 to Week 8. No tours are offered after Week 8.
Tours begin at 10 minutes past the hour. You will be turned away if you are late.
What should I wear to the tour?
You must wear pants and closed-toed shoes. You will be turned away without them.
You must not wear clothing or jewelry that dangles. (No necklaces, lanyards, or hoodies with strings).
You must tie back long hair.
What should I bring to the tour?
Bring a pencil, hair scrunchie (if needed), and Z87+ safety glasses (if you have them).
What can I do with a red tag?
Red tags permit students to work in the wood and metal shops.
What do I need to do before getting a red tag?
You must complete the Shop Safety Basics on Canvas before getting a red tag.
How should I prepare for the red tag test?
The best way to prepare for the tests is to review the Red Tag Manual.
Do red tag tours finish early?
No. Expect to stay for the full three hours.