Before the Tour
Before attending a tour, you must have logged at least 10 hours in the machine shops. You will not be permitted to begin the tour if you have not logged at least 10 hours. We also reccomend that you review the Yellow Tag Manual before attending a tour.
Finding a Tour
Yellow tags are offered on Tuesdays, Thursdays, and Saturdays from Week 2 to Week 8. Please see our calendar for current information.
About the Tour
You must wear long pants and closed-toed shoes to the tour. The tour will take about two hours. It will prepare you to use mills, lathes, and welding equipment. Please see the Yellow Tag Manual for a more in-depth description of the tour. The tour is followed by a 50-question test.
After the Tour
You may use mills, lathes, and welders after acquiring a yellow tag. You may not use CNC equipment.
You are responsible for your own safety:
- You must wear long pants and close-toed shoes.
- You must wear safety glasses at all times.
- You must tie back hair and remove other snag hazards.
- You must wear other personal protective equipment as needed.
- You must report all injuries, no matter how minor, to a shop tech.
You are responsible for the safety of others:
- Report any spills to a shop tech.
- Report any unsafe behavior to a shop tech.
- Report any broken machines or tools to a shop tech.
- You will not be penalized for accidental breakage.
- Continuing to work compromises your own safety and that of those around you.
- Concealing the problem compromises the safety of the person using it after you.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where do yellow tags take place?
All tours are given at the Hangar (Bldg. 004).
When are yellow tags offered?
Tours are offered from Week 2 to Week 8. No tours are offered after Week 8.
Tours begin at 10 minutes past the hour. You will be turned away if you are late.
What should I wear to the tour?
You must wear pants and closed-toed shoes. You will be turned away without them.
You must not wear clothing or jewlery that dangles. (No necklaces, lanyards, or hoodies with strings).
You must tie back long hair.
What should I bring to the tour?
Bring a pencil, hair scrunchie (if needed), and Z87+ safety glasses (if you have them).
What can I do with a yellow tag?
Yellow tags permit students to use mills, lathes, and welders.
What do I need to do before getting a yellow tag?
You must log at least ten hours in the shops before getting a yellow tag.
How should I prepare for the yellow tag test?
The best way to prepare for the tests is to review yellow tag manual.
Do yellow tag tours finish early?
No. Expect to stay for the full two hours.