Safety Equipment Available for All Users
Click the link for a downloadable Yellow Tag Manual
- Safety Glasses (3 times per quarter after that, you must supply your own.)
- Face Shields
- Welding Glasses/Goggles/Face Shields
- Ear Plugs/Ear Muffs
- Dust and Particle Masks
Yellow Tag User Policies
- Obtain tool-specific instructions when needed.
- Wear Yellow Tag visibly at all times!
- Wear safety glasses all the time while in the building.
- Use personal protective equipment when required.
- Have set-ups checked by a technician before beginning an operation.
- Ask questions if in doubt about safety or operations or are unfamiliar with a tool.
- Observe or do welding only while wearing eye protection of the proper shade, or observe through the tinted curtains.
- Check in with a valid Cal Poly Student ID.
- A minimum of 10 hours of Red Tag shop use must be recorded.
In addition to Red Tag tools, Yellow tag users may use the following hand and power tools (subject to the technicians' discretion) if they have taken and passed the Yellow Tag Safety Test:
Tools and Equipment
- MIG and TIG Welders (Shade 10 eye protection required)
- Oxy-Acetylene Rig (Shade 5 eye protection required)
- Plasma Cutter (Shade 5 eye protection required)
- Paint Booth and Gun (Respirator required)
- Ovens (Composite/Heat Treating)
Yellow Tag Tool Safety
- Yellow Tag users must always wear Safety Glasses while they are in the fenced shop area.
- You must abide by all shop procedures and safety rules.
- Wear your Yellow Tag so it is visible at all times!
- If you don’t know how to use a tool, or don’t remember, ask a Shop Tech.
- Wear appropriate clothing and Personal Protective Equipment for the job.
- Clean grease and oil from hands before using tools to prevent slipping.
- To prevent injury or damage to your project use only tools that are in good condition.
- If you break a tool, stop using it and return it to a Shop Tech, (We won’t penalize you for accidental breakage, but we WILL penalize you for hiding the problem and compromising other people's safety.)
- Report any unsafe behavior to a Shop Tech.
- Report any spills to a Shop Tech.
- Immediately report all injuries, no matter how minor, to a Shop Tech.
Specific Equipment Safety
Will be gone over duing your Yellow Tag tour and can be referenced on the downloadable Yellow Tag Tool Manual.
Read the Shop Rules and Regulations prior to arriving for a tour.