Note: Download the PDF Version, which includes equipment photos
Please watch this video before attending a Red Tag tour.
Safety Equipment Available for All users
- Safety Glasses-for guests; you are encouraged to bring your own.
- Face Shields
- Welding Glasses/Goggles/Face Shields
- Ear Plugs/Ear Muffs
- Dust and Particle Masks
- For students that have demonstrated competence on basic hand tool safety.
- May need tool-specific instructions.
- Expected to ask questions if in doubt about safety or operations or unfamiliar with a tool.
Red Tag Users
- Must wear their Red Tag visibly at all times!
- Are required to wear safety glasses all the time while in the building.
- Must use Personal Protective Equipment when required.
- Must have their set-ups checked by a tech before beginning an operation.
- May observe welding only while wearing eye protection of the proper shade, or may observe through the tinted curtains.
- Must check in with a valid Cal Poly Student ID.
- Must be currently enrolled at Cal Poly in any major.
- Are expected to ask questions if in doubt about safety or operations or unfamiliar with a tool.
Red Tag Tool Safety
- Red Tag users must always wear Safety Glasses while they are in the shop.
- You must abide by all shop procedures and safety rules.
- Wear your Red Tag so it is visible at all times!
- If you don’t know how to use a tool, or don’t remember, ask a Shop Tech.
- Wear appropriate clothing and Personal Protective Equipment for the job.
- Clean grease and oil from hands before using tools to prevent slipping.
- To prevent injury or damage to your project use only tools that are in good condition.
- If you break a tool, stop using it and return it to a Shop Tech, (We won’t penalize you for accidental breakage, but we WILL if you hide the problem and compromise others’ safety).
- Report any unsafe behavior to a Shop Tech.
- Report any spills to a Shop Tech.
- Immediately report all injuries, no matter how minor, to a Shop Tech.
For specific tool use please reference the downloadable Red Tag Tool manual.
Read the Shop Rules and Regulations prior to arriving for a tour.