- SCHEDULES SUBJECT TO CHANGE! CHECK THE CALENDAR ON A REGULAR BASIS.
- All tours and tests are at the Hangar, Bldg. 004 (not in Mustang '60).
- Tours and tests are not given after Week 8 of the quarter.
- You must show up on time.
- Wear pants and closed-toed shoes.
- Expect to stay for the full three hours.
- Bring a pen and a pencil.
- If there is a "Class Tour" scheduled, like ME 229 and BMED 212, and you are not enrolled in that class, then you will be accepted on a first come first serve basis after the enrolled students have arrived.
- The best way to prepare for the tests is to read the red and yellow tag manuals.
The format of the red tag was updated in Fall 2016 to include a practical portion for safety reasons. In addition to taking the safety test, students will be required to make a bookend under shop technician supervision. This will give students the opportunity to work with the majority of the tools covered under the red tag and will make safety training more hands on in true Cal Poly fashion. Due to this change, red tags now take place on MWF and will take 3 hours to complete. The new tests can accommodate up to 15 students. Materials for the bookends are provided.
In order to accommodate the schedules of more students, red tag tours and tests will now operate on a rotating schedule on Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays. The tour and test for each day will take place 8-11am, 12-3pm, or 3-6pm and will vary each week. Be sure to check the schedule frequently, as times may change as the quarter progresses.
For more information see the Red Tag Tool Manual Page
Watch the Bookend Instruction Video.
The format of the Yellow Tag was updated in Fall 2016 it includes a tour of the shop and safety test. Before attending a Yellow Tag tour all students and staff are required to have their Red Tag certification, more than 10 hours of practical experience in the machine shops, and 1 hour of clean up.
See the Yellow Tag Tool Manual Page
Any major changes will be posted on the Cal Poly Student Projects Centers Facebook page. We will do our best to accommodate everyone and will conduct additional red tags each week if necessary based on demand. If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to contact Eric Pulse whose contacts are below.
For professors looking to schedule a tour for their class period please visit our contact page.