Red Tag Test and Intermediate Skills Trainings
NOTICE: Yellow Tags are no longer being held! They have been replaced with Individualized Skills Trainings! Please select the course you wish to take from our Intermediate Trainings section of Picktime
Welcome to the mechanical engineering machine shops! All majors are welcome to work in the shops. Before working, everyone must complete the red tag safety certification (see steps for signing up below).
basic shop certification
1. Sign up for Canvas Course | Enroll in Canvas
2. Complete Canvas Course
3. Sign up for a red tag tour | Picktime reservation system
4. Attend the red tag tour | wear closed toed shoes and long pants
COVID NOTE: If you completed the Canvas course prior to July 2021, you must complete the current Canvas course before attending your tour.
INTERMEDIATE SKILLS TRAININGS
advanced shop certification
Topics available: welding, lathe, mill, woodshop, laser, 3d Printing, Metrology
1. Work in the shop for 2 hours
2. Complete 1 hour of shop cleanup | see shop tech for cleaning assignment
3. Sign up for selected Skills Training course | Picktime reservation system
4. Attend the Skills Training course | wear closed toed shoes and long pants
CNC MACHINE certification
1. Yellow Tag certification
2. >100 hours in the machine shop
3. Experience with manual machining and demonstration part
4. Letter of recommendation
1. Find a CNC certified mentor
2. Fill out the blue tag application form
3. Machine 3 unique parts with your mentor
4. Participate in an interview with the CNC Supervisor to get approved for the certification
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Where do tours take place?
Red Tags are at the Hangar (Bldg. 004)
Skills Trainings are held in both shops, depending on the skill
When are tours offered?
Tours are offered from Week 2 to Week 8. No tours are offered after Week 8.
Tours begin at 10 minutes past the hour. You will be turned away if you are late.
What should I wear to the tour?
You must wear pants and closed-toed shoes. You will be turned away without them.
You must not wear clothing or jewelry that dangles. (No necklaces, lanyards, or hoodies with strings).
You must tie back long hair.
What should I bring to the tour?
Bring a pencil, hair scrunchie (if needed), and Z87+ safety glasses (if you have them).
Can I take a Skills Training without a red tag?
No. The red tag introduces fundamental safety information and is required to get a yellow tag.
Where can I pick up my shop ID card? (ID Cards are still being developed and are not available at this time)
You can pick up your Red Tag ID card after you've have completed the following steps:
- Completed the online portion of the Red Tag tour, including the quiz, and uploaded a photo on Canvas.
- Completed your Red Tag tour and passed the Red Tag test (these are the in-person part of the Red Tag).
If we do not have your ID card at the time that you complete your Red Tag test, your ID card may not have been made yet. You can visit Mustang '60 during open hours to check if your ID has been printed.
Professors should contact Eric Pulse (firstname.lastname@example.org) to make arrangements for class tours.