Student Shop Technician
Company: Cal Poly Mechanical Engineering Machine Shops
Posted: Feb 1, 2020
Shop Tech Application
We are always looking for qualified individuals to join our team. The success of the students who rely on the machine shops is influenced greatly by the quality of our employees.
We are seeking individuals who are:
- A second or third year student
- Willing to learn how to use every machine in our facilities to a level of proficiency that will allow them to teach it
- Eager to advance both through the ranks of tech and as a student in terms of broadening their own abilities
- Able to interpret questions and reference relevant resources to assist students in their projects
- Comfortable and capable of working with students of all skill levels in a machine shop environment
All rookie technicians start by creating projects on all machines and performing maintenance work. This provides new hires the opportunity to become familiar with the machine shop and to develop their machining, welding, and woodworking skills. Once the technician has proven he or she is able to teach students how to use all of the equipment in the shop, they will be promoted and begin working with students.
If you are interested in becoming a student tech, please fill out the Application Form. Please allow for one full quarter for the lead technician to respond to your application. Hiring cycles begin at the start of each quarter.